Here be the ITLAPD questions (Avast! I’ll post the answers tomorrow.):
1) Ol’ Chumbucket can blow a man down in 20 seconds. Arrr! How many men can he blow down in 15 minutes?
2) Polly wants a cracker. Awk! A bowl of crackers sitting next to her perch contains 5 Ritz© crackers, 4 saltines, and 7 Wheat Thins©. If she sticks her beak into the bowl and randomly pulls out a cracker, what is the probability that she does NOT get a saltine? Express your answer as a common fraction.
3) The pirates of The Black Pearl are a motley crew. Arrr! Twenty-seven of them have earrings, and 25 of them have peg legs. If the crew consists of 37 pirates, what is the smallest possible number of pirates in the crew with an earring and a peg leg?
4) Dirty Bess Flint buried her treasure at 24 degrees, 41 minutes N and 78 degrees 04 minutes W. (That’s degrees and minutes of latitude and longitude, ye scurvy dogs!) If there are 60 minutes in one degree, convert the treasure’s latitude and longitude into decimal degrees (i.e., showing no minutes). Express your answer as a decimal to the nearest hundredth. Arrr!
5) Blackbeard has to swab the poop deck after a sword fight. Arrr! The poop deck is 48 feet wide and 100 feet long. If Blackbeard can swab 125 square feet per minute, how many minutes will it take him to swab the entire poop deck? Express yer answer to the nearest whole number.
6) On his last raid, Captain Jack Sparrow stole 1000 pieces of eight, 500 doubloons, and 600 gold coins. (1 piece of eight = $0.75; 1 doubloon = $1.20; and 1 gold coin = $3) If each type of coin is worth the dollar value given, what is the total value, in dollars, of Captain Jack Sparrow’s booty? Arrr!
7) The Horrid Shark pirate ship is sailing from the Cayman Islands to St. John’s. Arrr! If she can sail 20 miles per hour, and St. John’s is 1350 miles from the Cayman Islands, in how many days will The Horrid Shark arrive at St. John’s? Express yer answer to the nearest whole number.
8) Cap’n Slappy has to punish one of his bilge rate crew members. Arrr! He plans to keelhaul him, which is dragging him along the underside of the boat lengthwise. However, Cap’n Slappy relents and decides to drag him only widthwise. If the width of the ship’s hull is approximately a semicircle with radius 40 feet, what is the distance, in feet, that Cap’n Slappy drags the bilge rat? Express yer answer to the nearest whole number.
9) X marks the spot! What is the value of X in the system of equations 6X – 5y = 8 and 2X + 9y = 24?
10) Mad Dirk is hanging nautical flags on the mizzenmast. Arrr! He doesn’t care about what signals he is sending to other ships (he is mad, after all), and so he randomly selects four of the six flags in the ship’s storage compartment. How many different combinations of four flags could Mad Dirk select for the mizzenmast?